4 abril, 2017
Peace Parks Foundation (PPF) is a non-profit company established to facilitate the establishment and development of Transfrontier Conservation Areas (TFCAs) in southern Africa.
PPF in collaboration with ANAC have developed and are implementing a tourism development strategy for the Maputo Special Reserve (MSR) and Ponta d’Ouro Partial Marine Reserve (PPMR). The purpose of this is to develop the tourism opportunities, from camping to 5-star products and to take responsibility for successful implementation of the tourism development strategy for MSR/PPMR.
The Tourism Development Manager will report to the Park Warden, Maputo Special Reserve, Mozambique.
- Ten years’ experience in leading, managing and / or advising on tourism, ideally in a conservation area.
- The ideal candidate shall have experience: (1) at a strategic, product development and implementation as well as at an operational level (2) in a wide array of tourism products from tourism activities, 4×4 trails and camping to 4 and 5 star concession developments. (3) In the development and operations of support services including reservations and bookings systems, staff management and camp support services.
- Self-driven with strong leadership and team management experience, including ability to motivate, reach consensus, set objectives and manage performance.
- A demonstrated ability to utilise technology in tourism development
- A working knowledge and/or willingness to learn Portuguese will be highly advantageous.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to be based in Maputo initially and later on in the Maputo Special Reserve will be a prerequisite;
Specific key performance areas will include:
Establishment of a Tourism Business plan, Marketing and Reservations system
- Support the development and implement a business plan for the Mozambique tourism division and develop and implement the business plan for the MSR/PPMR tourism operations;
- Review and provide recommendations on the tourism rates structure for both terrestrial and marine tourism products.
- Develop a marketing strategy highlighting the market segments and key areas to be targeted (Indaba, local travel agents etc.) to boost awareness of the MSR/PPMR and especially the park authority products (PADS).
- Development of marketing material;
- In collaboration with the PPF (IT section) develop a tourism website for the MSR/PPMR and ensure the PADS are marketed;
- In collaboration with the PPF (IT section) develop an on-line reservation system for the PADS in the MSR/PPMR – which can in future be expanded to include tourism products in other Mozambican Conservation areas and other regional TFCA areas. Development of Tourism opportunities within MSR/PPMR
- Take primary responsibility for the implementation of the MSR/PPMR tourism development strategy. Manage the planning and development by appointed service providers of PPF funded tourism development initiatives including Tourism camps, Tourism support facilities, 4×4 trails and activity and adventure products. (on site tourism manager will be appointed to manage the day to day issues);
- Explore options for developing and operating activities in the park either as park managed products or more likely as partnerships with operators;
- Assist ANAC with the marketing and development of new concession opportunities for private partners;
- Establish and develop a ferry link between Maputo and Santa Maria to provide access to the PPMR and further enhance the local tourism economy on the Machangulo peninsula.
Management of MSR / PPMR Tourism operations
- Assist ANAC in the management of existing concessions and ensuring their development and performance in accordance with contractual requirements;
- Develop and implement a tourism management system for the park from the arrival to departure of guests including, indemnities, park fees etc.;
- Appoint and manage the park tourism staff and tourism enterprise managers and their performance contracts for the individual PADS;
- Develop and implement systems for the management of Park managed tourism facilities and activities; In collaboration with the PPF Mozambique office and the PPF accounts section develop and implement a financial control, reporting and management system;
- Provide monthly progress reporting on all tourism related activities and co-ordinate the undertaking of regular tourism development and management meetings
A competitive salary package will be negotiated, based on qualifications and experience.
Interested candidates should submit a covering letter detailing their interest in and suitability for the position, as well as Curriculum Vitae in English, with contact details of 3 references by 10 April 2017 to: Jacques Richard, Peace Parks Foundation e-mail: [email protected]