This full-time position will be based in Nampula, Mozambique for the USAID-funded Mozambique QHI project.
The Gender Specialist will:
- Lead and/or collaborate with the HQ Senior Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Advisor to conduct a gender analysis at the beginning, mid-term and end of the project, develop a Gender Strategy, and work with the team to implement the Gender Strategy.
- Ensure that the Mozambique QHI project incorporates principles of gender equality and utilizes best practices in GBV prevention and response activities at the health facility and community level.
- Provide technical oversight in the implementation of robust women’s and girls’ empowerment and men’s and boys’ engagement approaches
- Provide technical support to national partner organizations
- Work closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation team to support the tracking of gender-related indicators
- Work closely with partner organizations to orient on
- Collaborate with the community mobilizers to develop relevant advocacy and behavior change messaging on reducing gender biases in the target schools and communities.
- Conduct annual gender assessments to measure progress and hone project activities.
- Build relationships and coordinate with gender focal persons and other partners and institutions involved in health-related activities in Nampula Province
- Liaise regularly with FHI 360’s other programs in country to share learning and promote gender integration among FHI 360’s portfolio of projects in Mozambique.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Requirements Standards
- At least 5-7 years experience working in an equivalent position of gender specialist for a health-related activity.
- A master’s degree or higher in the relevant subject area(s), preferably in gender, social work, public health, international development or community development required.
- A proven record of excellent management, leadership, decision-making and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to ensure gender integration in project design, implementation and M&E.
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in Portuguese; ability to write effectively in English.
- Ability to navigate politically sensitive terrain and maintain constructive relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and transmit his/her vision to partners and colleagues.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.