- Strengthening international human rights mechanisms
- Integrating human rights in development and the economic sphere
- Enhancing equality and countering discrimination
- Expand civic space
- Combatting impunity and strengthening accountability and rule of law
- Early warning and protection of human rights in situations of conflict, violence and insecurity
- Strengthening stakeholder engagement with human rights mechanisms and support implementation of recommendations;
- Strengthening national human rights protection and accountability mechanisms;
- Enhancing civil society participation and safeguarding civic space;
- Integrating human rights in development;
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with UNDP on implementation of access to justice and human rights programming, particularly in support of human rights protection entities like the national human rights commission and the Ombundsman’s office so that they can effectively implement their mandates;
- Support work on integrating human rights in development, in particular to help promote the Guiding Principles on business and human rights in collaboration with national authorities, private sector and civil society;
- Support human rights mainstreaming in UN and Government development programming, and the application of a rights-based approach in data collection efforts in line with the SDGs;
- Assist in preparing and conducting human rights training programmes for Government officials, and representatives of national human rights bodies and civil society;
- Produce and support the dissemination of relevant human rights materials, in Portuguese and in local languages; and
- Perform other tasks as required.
- Knowledge of and exposure to a range of human rights issues including approaches and techniques to address sensitive and complex human rights problems in their political, ethnic, racial, gender and socio-economic dimensions.
- Knowledge of institutional mandates of human rights organizations, prevailing policies and procedures.
- Ability to evaluate and integrate information from a variety of sources and assess impact on the human rights situation in the region or country of assignment, including the political environment and legal statutes as they pertain to human rights.
- Ability to complete in-depth studies and reach conclusions on possible causes and solutions to human rights problems in specific societies and systems.
- Demonstrated skills in training civil authorities and members of advocacy groups to recognize warning signs of civil unrest and take preventive action to avert hostilities.
- Ability to relate to human rights issues and perspectives, including their gender equality dimensions, to political, social, economic and humanitarian programmes in affected countries and areas.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required.
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work.
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning.
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
- Uses time efficiently.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience.
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise.
- Is willing to learn from others.
- Places team agenda before personal agenda.
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in law, political science, international relations or other disciplines related to human rights.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible and relevant experience in human rights, political affairs, international relations, law or related area.
- Experience working on issues of business and human rights and knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals and Agenda 2030 are desirable.
- Prior experience working in an international organization (e.g. UN agencies, INGOs, IOs, bi-lateral cooperation agencies, etc.) an asset.
- Fluency in English and Portuguese are required. Working knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.