Coca-Cola Beverages Africa is the largest African Coca-Cola bottler, accounting for 40% of all Coca-Cola volumes on the continent. CCBA is a market leader in the NARTD (non-alcoholic ready to drink market) in Africa. We have an exciting career opportunity for a Driver Team Leader to lead the SBU in the execution of the Distribution plan, ensuring that product is delivered safely, effectively and efficiently in full and on time to all our customers.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
• Coach team members in the correct execution of their tasks (operational and technical).
• Check and ensure that team members monitor planned deliveries versus actual deliveries to obtain the desired customer service levels
• Check and ensure that team members carry out required Truck and equipment checks and that the information is recorded on the appropriate systems.
• Develop team members and ensure that training needs are identified and closed out via one-on-one’s and performance reviews.
• Drives performance management practices (e.g. Performance Management Way – leading the development of team goals and carrying out team meetings and team goal review sessions.
• Manage human resource availability, leave and resource deployment
• Drive team member development
2. To drive SC Ways initiatives on own shift
- Communicates work practice deployment plans and ensures team buy-in
- Coaches team members on work practice Implementation
- Coaches team members situational problem solving
- Ensures that team members implement and adhere to divisional standards
- Conducts work practice maturity assessments and/or line walkabouts for own shift to ensure that best practices are being applied correctly and are entrenched
- Benchmarking best practice (internally)
- Opportunities identified and implemented 3. Operating and Logistics Control
- Ensuring that team members understand and adhere to the operational, quality and logistics standards, work instructions and maintenance schedules, work practice deployment plans and performance target.
- Review and sign off of distribution performance (QCDSM) and ensuring that all required administrative tasks in support of the distribution driver team are carried out.
- Ensures all pre and post trip checks are conducted and problems identified and resolved
- Ensures all trip de-briefing procedures are adhered to and that all KPI’s are being adhered to
- Works closely with Planners and Expeditors to ensure perfect execution of the distribution plan.
- Manage immediate delivery constraints and service related issues to satisfy operational as well as customer service needs
- In Conjunction with the Distribution Expeditor decide on course of action to resolve problems where distribution delivery problems have been escalated
- Identify the need for updating of work instructions and ensure resources are made available to do the update work instructions
- Ensure safety and housekeeping standards are adhered to including vehicle appearance, condition and cleanliness.
- Conduct initial incident and accident investigations and escalate accordingly.
4. Maintenance of trucks and related equipment
• Check that the drivers and other team members, carry out required basic vehicle and equipment maintenance tasks and any required basic running repairs on the road in accordance with work instructions and maintenance requirements
• Ensure that the mechanic carries out repairs on and before the shift and coaches the team members on autonomous maintenance activities and carries out work in support of the fleet maintenance controllers.
• Participates in maintenance planning meetings to highlights maintenance problems requiring attention.
5. Quality Control and Analysis
• Ensure that the team members understand and adhere to quality standards.
- Communicate team goals and regularly review to ensure team alignment
- Prepare for the daily shift meeting by reviewing past shift performance and identifying issues for team discussion.
- Ensure that visual management boards are updated prior shift meetings
- Lead the daily shift meeting, making use of a standard agenda, and ensuring that team members actively partake.
- Ensure that issues and opportunities raised during the daily shift meetings are recorded on the gap list for action, and that these actions have accountabilities and due dates assigned.
- Communicate the distribution plan; shift resourcing and overall performance and other relevant business information to team members.
- Conduct an end of shift meeting with the team to communicate performance, problems, planned schedule and work assignments
- Conduct a hand-over meeting with incoming shift team leader. Issues to be communicated include logistics performance, quality, distribution plan, problems and issues.
- Check that hand over procedures are followed check sheets completed
- Communicate the weekly maintenance plan to the team to ensure that vehicles are made available for scheduled servicing and repairs.
7. Problem solving
• Coach and support team members in using the correct problem solving techniques (such as 5Why, quick fix, OPL’s etc.) to solve situational problems.
Skills, Experience & Education
Judgement and decision making
- • Swift in decision making
- • Simplifies the decision making process for self and team members
- • Efficiently applies rigour and operating discipline to ensure decisions are made on a timely basis
- • Assesses and makes clear trade-offs when making critical decisions Qualifications and Experience Qualifications
- • Minimum requirement: Logistics diploma; distribution / transport qualification or relevant qualification
- • Be in possession of a valid heavy-duty driver’s license and statutory documentation.
• 3 years supervisory distribution / transport experience in a FMCG environment Competencies
• Understanding of The People Way practices and principles
• Understanding of Company Policies and Procedures
• Understanding of The Supply Chain Way practices and principles
• Thorough knowledge of all aspects of transport and distribution
• MS Office skills
• A self-starter with high energy levels.
• Ability to identify gaps and initiate improvement activities.
• Understanding of SHEQ policies and procedures
• The People Way and Company labour relations practices
Skills and Attributes:
- Proven Leadership skills and technical capability
- Excellent Industrial Relations Management Skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – clear capability and credibility to influence at front line level.
- Good problem solving capability
- Is a logical thinker with the ability to determine quick solutions when problems arise
- Attention to detail and commitment to quality is non-negotiable.
- Ability to train and coach own team.
- Ability to be pragmatic, and able to place equal emphasis on quality and productivity
- Negotiation skills.
|Location – Town / City||CHIMOIO|
We are committed to Employment Equity when recruiting internally and externally. It is company policy to promote from within wherever possible. Therefore, please be aware that internal candidates will be considered first before reviewing external applicants, provided that this supports achievement of our Employment Equity goals.