The M-Pesa Legal Intern will be a member of the M-Pesa Compliance team. He or She will assist in the effective management of the Legal program within M-Pesa. He or she will be required to work in conjuction with various areas within the Institution and be responsible for the relationship with the Court of Law and the Attorney General’s Office of the Republic of Mozambique.
Key accountabilities and decision ownership:
• Ready, analyse documents written or shared with Compliance (Oficios) moreover effectively manage as well archiving of same;
• Provide a Legal overview or views while ensuring proper follow and or direct legal proceedings when prompted by the Judicial Authorities;
• Ensure Compliance with firm’s related Policies and Procedures. Escalate non Compliance, where applicable;
• Provide legal assistance to various firm departments i.e. M-Pesa and collaborate with relevant colleagues in the elaboration of documents within various departments within the firm;
• Responds and manages complaints deriving from customer or the Regulator i.e. The Central Bank of Moçambique, the district attorney, Corruption Combating Cabinet etc.
Core competencies, knowledge and experience:
• Accountable and eager to learn and improve current risk environment;
• Knowledge of Local Laws which take into account customer fair treatment, products and M-Pesa conduct as a Financial Institution,
• Must have analytical skills and attention to detail;
• Ability to work with minimum supervision;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills (fluency in English is an advantage).
Must have technical / professional qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in Law;
• Certification in AML and/or Compliance is an advantage.
• Experienced Legal professional with 2 or more years in a compliance or related field and
• Knowledge of telecommunications is an advantage.