Role purpose: To ensure that VM SA (T/a Vodacom Mozambique) and its subsidiary companies have an adequate risk management program and are compliant with all applicable laws and regulations and rules; all company policies, codes and standards; implement adequate systems and processes to monitor and enforce compliance and manage risks.
Key accountabilities and decision ownership
• Ensuring compliance with the legal framework for both the VM and M-Pesa businesses and the general universe of laws and providing advice on all relevant topics impacting the business.
• Own and manage the relationship with external legal counsel for all relevant matters in the corporate, litigation and tax areas.
• Ensure Vodacom has necessary and appropriate business continuity planning lifecycle with process of creating systems of prevention and recovery to enable ongoing operations before and during execution of disaster recovery.
• Ensure Vodacom has developed and enforced appropriate security policies, procedures and measures to ensure: a safe environment for company properties, employees and visitors; investigations are carried out timely and fair; and provide satisfactory LEA.
• Design and implement a compliance programme that is benchmarked on widely accepted world standards.
• Training and awareness is provided to effectively communicate Vodacom standards and requirements to employees, directors, contractors, subsidiaries, joint ventures and suppliers.
• Place controls to ensure that all systems, processes and procedures comply fully with Anti-Corruption/Bribery legislation. This includes ensuring that a process is in place for declaring and monitoring gifts and hospitality given and received. The same for Economic Sanctions and Trade Export Controls.
• Place controls to ensure that all money transfer systems, processes and procedures comply fully with relevant legislation and in particular Anti-Money Laundering (AML) legislation as well as Vodafone Group best practice standards/ requirements.
• Accountable to ensure corrective actions identified to rectify partial and non-compliant controls.
Core competencies, knowledge and experience
• 10 years minimum experience in the risk, legal and compliance management field including experience in a senior management position.
• High integrity and highly ethical
• Articulate, strong communication skills (written/verbal)
• Adequate experience and management of big teams of professionals
Must have technical/professional qualifications
• In-depth knowledge of Risks and Compliance.
• Undergraduate Degree in Law (LL.B)
• Good domain of the law, with particular focus on knowledge of telecommunications, commercial, labor and financial laws
• Anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, anti-terrorist funding legislation, codes of practice, regulations, etc
Key performance indicators
• Management of disputes to ensure minimum escalation of dispute resolutions into litigation
• Compliance with privacy local legislation and Group policies.