Work with Regional teams to implement the convenience store value proposition, store layouts incorporating range assortments, supply chain, pricing strategies, promotions and policies and procedures;
Ensure that the customer is at the heart of everything the Convenience Retail , Retail Teams and dealers do across the country, whilst operating safely, legally and sustainably;
Implement and monitor the Regional / Global Convenience Retail standards, processes, procedures and working practices across the region to ensure that Puma Energy is operating stores in an optimal manner;
Work with the Retail Teams, Engineering and purchasing teams to achieve the transformation agenda on time and within budget;
Actively support the preparation, roll out and implementation of key projects e.g. CRM, Cash systems;
Role model the Puma Energy core values and ways of working.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities, Key Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement Dry and Food range aligned to regional requirements, localized with consumer data and aligned to local legislative and regulatory requirements. Work with organisations such as AC Nielsen and FMCG category partners to develop category management practices. Ensure accurate data and category allocation of products to enable store level sales. Regularly review ranging / product assortment to match customer requirements and ensure that all products meet the regulated safety standards i.e. localized food range that is HACCP compliant. Ensure all products are loaded on the dealer point of sale.
- Accountable for the good execution of layout, design, trade dress and visual identity principles in store. Assist dealers with new store openings; execute planograms and merchandising principles. Provide dealers and regional staff with operational manuals and easy reference guides to operate effectively and profitably.
- Establish a national supply chain to ensure product delivery to all Puma stores. Sign contracts with Dry goods and Food vendors to guarantee supply of goods to dealers. Contracts to include rebate targets to be collected on a quarterly basis.
- Develop Pricing Strategy for product range aligned to customer price elasticity and Dealer and Puma profitability expectations. Regularly conduct country and site Profit and Loss analysis by CR offer type to ensure overall CR profitability. Maintain and update Cost and Recommended Retail Selling prices on Puma’s point of sale system.
- Develop a Promotional Strategy in line with Regional guidelines. Liaise with agencies, develop local promotional concepts, print and distribute promotional material.
- Work with the Regional Value Proposition Manager, Regional and Country Lead High Street Lubricants modelling teams in driving the roll out of the Retail Community Village concept in the Country, e.g. QSR tenants, Automotive Services (Carwash, Lube Bays etc., Financial Services (ATM, Payments etc.) and Pick up services (Parcel drop off/collection, laundry etc.). Manage the ongoing offer category management once the concept is up and running.
- Implement and communicate HSE and legal principles, policies, and procedures guidelines to enable service stations to sell and operate both safely and legally at all times, paying particular attention to food safety and hygiene. Follow regional business methodology, processes and procedures for a customer led CR activity.
- Ensure that the Country CR team is a point of contact for all technical advice relating to CR issues. Represent Puma Energy CR at Industry Forums, in order to ensure Puma Energy is up to date and current with CR innovation and global best practices. Ensure that Puma Energy maintains competitive advantage by making sure that the country has an up to date understanding of Convenience Retail best practices, competitor initiatives and activities.
- Actively work with country Retail Teams, Engineering and Procurement in the delivery of the Convenience Retail investment budget, ensuring the Regions and Countries are set up to achieve the budgeted financial performance and KPI’s. Ensure Retail are set up the most appropriate models for operating convenience stores for their trade area, e.g. Super 7 franchise, branded partnerships. Ensure that investment CAPEX business cases are economically viable and all the correct Franchise maintaining a legal register.
- Train Country CR teams, Retail teams, Dealers and service station staff on C-Store operations, Food and Category Management. Source a local Food vendor to ensure assist with Food training and HACCP compliance.
- Work with the Global and Regional IT teams to develop and roll out of all the relevant CR IT systems related to store operations. Support deployment initiatives by capturing the correct country, site and master data setups timorously and effectively.
- Accountable for the good execution of layout, design and visual identity principles in store. Assist dealers with new store openings; execute Regional planograms and merchandising principles. Provide dealers and regional staff with operational manuals and easy reference guides to operate effectively and profitably.
- KPI reporting on Country Compliance: Product, Price, Promotion, Planograms, Food, HACCP, Rebates and Vendors. Responsible for all collection and collation of non-fuel data in the country.
- NQF level 6 (Diploma/Advanced Certificate with specialization Retail, Business Management or equivalent)
- Category Management Qualifications
- Space Planning an advantage
- At least 5 years working experience within the food/non-fuel retailing industry related to merchandised
- categories / Category Management or Key Account Management.
- Strong background in merchandising and vendor relationships
- Additional experience in product purchasing, financial analysis and inventory control is a plus
- Previous experience in a matrix / COE (Centre of excellence) organization is a plus
- English language
- Proficiency with MS Office
- Category management
- Supply Chain Management
- Project Management
- Contract Negotiation
- Rebate management
- Customer focus
- An excellent grasp of spatial, design, and promotional planning.
- Working knowledge of buying practices
- Financial Analysis
- Analytical thinking
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Negotiation, Persuading and influencing
- Communicate with clarity (Internally & externally. Written & oral)
- Planning and organizing
- Collaborating with others
- Result driven
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Managing ambiguity
- Embracing change and transformation
- Ability to work independently with irregular supervision
Key Relationships and Department Overview:
Internal – COO, CCO, General Managers, Retail Managers, Specific Business Managers (Lubricants), network planning, specific functions (Procurement, Engineering, HR, Legal, Finance, IT, Transformation office), and Regional CR teams and direct reports.
External – Advertising Agencies, Suppliers of Services, Vendors, 3rd party investors, Dealers and represent Puma as required in any external forum in respect of Convenience Retail.